Low Fat Scones Recipe - Light & Fluffy Scones

Homemade low fat scones served on a plate

Looking for a low fat scones recipe? These light and fluffy scones are an easy homemade treat that's lower in fat than traditional scones. Made with fat-free Greek yogirt, they're quick to prepare and delicious servcd warm with jam.

I made these low fat scones after trying Streamline Jam, as I wanted a sweet treat that felt a little lighter. The scones are soft and fluffy and are particularly good served warm with jam and a cup of tea.

I was sent some Streamline Jams to try and as I do love jam on my toast in the morning I was interested to see what they were like. In case you haven't already seen them, Streamline Jams are a range of jams and marmalades which contain 30% less sugar and 40% more fruit than other jams so you can enjoy less sugar but have an extra fruity treat!

I really enjoyed the jams and I honestly wouldn't know there was less sugar in them, I thought they were really tasty and very fruity. I think the texture of the strawberry jam was slightly different (not in a bad way) but that was the only thing I could see that was different to other jams.

Sampling the Streamline Jams made me think about trying them with a low fat recipe so I can have a sweet treat but feel less guilty about the calories. So, here's a recipe for low fat scones, I used fat free Greek yogurt but I only had full fat butter in the fridge, however, you could try this recipe with low fat spread for even less calories.

Ingredients

350g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
85g cold butter, cut into cubes
4 tbsp golden caster sugar
150g fat-free greek yogurt
4 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk, to glaze

Method

- Put a baking sheet/tray in the oven at 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Put the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl then mix with an electric mixer until the butter disappears. Alternatively you can do this in a food processor or the old fashioned way with your fingers!
- Add the sugar to the bowl and mix in well
- Tip into a large bowl then make a well in the middle
- Put the yogurt, milk and vanilla together in a jug and heat in the microwave for 1 min or alternatively heat in a pan. The mixture should be hot and might go a bit lumpy-looking
- Tip into the well you made earlier and quickly work into the flour mix using a cutlery knife. As soon as it’s all in, stop
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface. Then, with floured hands, fold the dough over a few times – just enough to create a smoothish dough
- Press out to about 4cm/1½in thick, dip a 7cm cutter into more flour, then cut out 4 rounds, flouring the cutter each time. Squash the remainder lightly together, then repeat until the dough is used up
- Brush the tops with egg wash, scatter flour over the hot sheet, then lift the scones on. Bake for 12 minutes until risen and golden. Best eaten just-warm, or on the day.
- Serve with Streamline Jam for a low fat and low sugar treat.

Tips for Making Low Fat Scones

  • For the best results, avoid overworking the dough as this can make the scones heavy. Handle the dough gently and bake the scones until risen and golden.
  • Add 85g sultanas or chopped glacé cherries in with the sugar for a fruitier scone

Homemade low fat scones served with Streamline strawberry jam













If you'd like to try Streamline Jam there is a whole range of flavours including: strawberry, blackcurrant, apricot, black cherry, seedless raspberry, thin cut orange, thick cut orange and diced cut orange. 

Selection of Streamline reduced sugar jams










Disclaimer: I was sent Streamline Jams to review, but all opinions are my own. 
I adapted this recipe from a scone recipe I found on one of my favourite food websites - see the original recipe here bbcgoodfood.com

Comments

Popular Posts