Cake Decor Cake Lace Kit


















As a cake decorator I like to try new trends and equipment and have been wanting to try Cake Lace for a while. You can get some really delicate and beautiful effects with it and I've seen some stunning cakes decorated with Cake lace. Luckily for me I was recently sent a kit from Cake Decor and was really interested to try it out.

In the kit you get a flexible silicone mat to make the cake lace shapes with, a pot of gold cake lace mixture (no mixing required) and that's all you need! There are also clear instructions on the box which I found really easy to follow.

To make the cake lace, all you do is carefully spread the gold mixture onto the shapes on the mat using a spatula or knife. You must take care to fill in all the tiny parts of the shapes in the mould, this is the only slightly tricky part because the mixture is squidgy stuff. Once the mould is filled, you scrape all the excess lace mix off so that the lace is smooth and neat and doesn't have any excess bits attached to it. All you do then is put the mat in the oven for 12-14 minutes and when ready, peel the shapes from the mat.









I baked the lace in my oven for the minimum time and tested it as explained in the instructions but it was not quite ready. I put it back in the oven and it still wasn't ready. I turned my oven up and left it for another few minutes but I think I over did it then as some of the lace broke! It was my first time using the kit but I know for next time to just leave it in the oven at the lower temperature but for a longer time and not be so impatient! There is also the option of leaving the lace to set overnight so you don't even have to use the oven at all if you don't want to.

I was really impressed with the detail of the lace and I'm looking into buying more moulds so I can make a lace that can be wrapped around a larger cake. I really like the gold colour of the cake lace mixture in the Cake Decor kit and I'll definitely be using it again but this time I know to leave it in the oven for longer.

I used my cake lace to decorate some cupcakes and they looked really pretty, I'm looking forward to trying it on other bakes too.

If you fancy having a go with the Cake Decor Cake Lace Kit, it is available in selected Morrisons and Sainsbury's stores.












I was sent the Cake Lace Kit from Cake Decor as part of their Bake it Beautiful campaign. Visit their website for lots of cake decorating ideas, products, recipes and inspiration.

Comments

Popular Posts